Fascinating facts about Singapore!
Think you know everything about Singapore? Think again! Though Singapore may be a small country, there are many fascinating facts that you never knew! Impress your friends with these interesting facts about Singapore!
1. Whip out your magnifying glass, and open your eyes bigger now!
Picture source: banknotenews
Though not common, but when you lay hands on a $1000 note, be sure to flip it over (to the side as shown above). Next try to see if you can spot the lyrics of the Singapore’s national anthem in microtext!
2. So what time is it?
Picture source: www.gov.sg
Since 1905, Singapore has changed time zones not once, not twice, but 6 times!
Here’s briefly what happened:
– from 1905 to 1932, Singapore was 7 hours ahead of GMT
– from 1933 to 1941, we moved our clocks forward 20 minutes for daylight savings
– from 1941 to 1942, we changed it to 30 minutes
– during the Japanese occupation in World War II, our clocks were amended to become 1 hour and 30 minutes ahead of the previous time zone to be in synced with Tokyo, but was reverted back to 7 hours 30 minutes ahead of GMT after the occupation ended
– the most recent change was in 1982, when our clocks were synchronised with Malaysia
3. What is Singapore’s first MRT?
4. Singaporeans are the fastest walkers?!
Singaporeans are ranked number one in terms of walking speed, and are coined as the fastest walkers in the world. On average, we walk a distance of 18 metres in 10.55 seconds, which is approximately 6.15km an hour!
Following in our footsteps are Copenhagen (Denmark), clocking in at 10.82 seconds,and Madrid (Spain) coming in third at 10.89 seconds.
5. High there Singapore!
In Singapore, buildings cannot be higher than 280 metres. Currently, there are 3 buildings of that height namely: OUB Centre, UOB Plaza and Republic Plaza.
6. Fly (Why) like this?
Standing at 165m, the Singapore Flyer was in fact the tallest Ferris wheel in the world in 2013, even surpassing the London Eye which stands at 135m. However, it was soon overtaken by High Roller, which opened in Las Vegas in 2014. The High Roller stands at 167.6m in height, 2.6 m taller than the Flyer.
7. What a long PIE!
The Pan-Island Expressway (PIE), at 42.8km is longest stretch of road in Singapore!
8. Is it winter?!
The lowest temperature ever recorded in Singapore is 19.4°C, which was in 1934.
9. What the fish!
Chinatown Complex Market is the biggest market / hawker centre in Singapore, boasting a total of 703 stalls in the market. With such a large variety, there’s no doubt that you’ll be spoilt for choice!
10. Did you say a Disneyland in Singapore?
Ever wondered why distance between Khatib and Yio Chu Kang MRT is so long? This is because a Disneyland was initially slated to be built there to compete with Hong Kong’s Disneyland. Also, the station was supposed to be called Lentor. However, to the disappointment of many, the deal wasn’t fulfilled.
Like this fun-fact sheet?
In Village Singapura Team Building, you can try up to 6 different hands-on experience of Singapore’s traditions. One difference though. They are part of a story set in Old Singapore where you compete with other teams in team challenges. To know more, contact us now.